Thursday, September 19, 2019

Wood Model - 绿漪亭 Chinese Pavilion

This is another chinese company I found in taobao. Unlike most of the wood model makers, they do not do sail boats; but in fact they do buildings. More specifically, Chinese traditional buildings.

I was attracted to some of their kits, especially the bigger ones like the Qing dynasty palace and such. However, dued to the considered high price, yes my prejudice n sinful expectation of China product being low in price, I have decided to get a smaller one to give it a try first.

Overall, I find it is pretty enjoyable. Again, I realized many techniques, or i should say way of the the product design is inspired by sail boat model.

The main new thing I have first time experience is to build a model with the aid of water.

See, Chinese buildings have this curvy design. In reality, many of them are either actually being cut into the curvy shape, or being join piece by piecen create a final appearance of being curvy. However, since I am doinga simplified verysion of a scale down model, what I m given is a whole piece of wood instead of tens of separated pieces. As a result, some pieces i need to use water, make them wet, n bend them while waiting it to dry. Repeat a few times n I would get the shape i want.

sounds like some tedious work, but I must say the satisfaction of successfully bend something with great accuracy is definitely worth the work n time.


No comments:

Post a Comment