Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Arii 1/20 6WD Off Road Machine Series - STRONGER



This is an Arii's kit that really got me when I was young. First, the diagram they have on the box looks really canggih and pro (XD). Second, it's a 6 wheel drive; though the motor only pulls the 4 back wheel; but still, how cool s that? Third, n most importantly, after saving pocket money for months, n finally get myself one from Fajar supermarket near my house, build it immediately and found that it didnt move!!!!
I tried to figure out at that time why it didnt move but failed.

Years later, finally i got myself another box of this series, from ebay with a cut throat price. It's slightly different from the one I got in the 80's as this looks like a Europe country release. Anyway, the runner and design r identical. So my challenge this round is to find out the reason.
 



Yes, again, when do it OOB, the car doesnt move again. This round I finally pretty much confirm the reason behind it: the main reason being the gear ratio.
(Of course, before that I had eliminate other possible cause like fitting accuracy of the parts, extra plastic flashes, rough surface, and I did oil the moving parts too.)

With such gear ratio, a normal low torque FA130 motor will have no chance to move the the car. If I changed it to a 2 wheel drive, it still can move on a flatland while stop at the smallest obstacle or bump. For 4 wheel, definitely no chance.

After I have changed it to a high power, low speed motor, situation got slightly better, but still nothing even come close to a "Off Road" vehicle.

I even pump the motor with extra voltage (9V), it did improve, but again, that's not what i really want.

Unfortunately I didnt have the right size of gears to replace the original. So I guess my mission for this project is considered half accomplished: at least I manage to confirm the root cause of my failure in my previous build during my childhood.
 

So finally I have changed the thing into a 2 wheel drive; since mostly I wont even play with it after I have had done painted it.

The rest is just a standard build, sand, correction, prime, paint process. Just a side note: I really love the stickers in this kit. They r actually plastic stickers n not paper, which means using water with detergent is possible; which is something really useful in handling self adhesive stickers.

 









No comments:

Post a Comment